Pan Fried Salmon and 3 Sauces

I've been more actively trying to eat more fish and less meat, so I've been trying out a few ways to eat salmon (my go-to fish, there are many more kinds but I guess I've always liked salmon best?) and aside from sushi and sashimi as well as the foil or rice paper wrapped salmon I talked about the other day, simple pan fried salmon is my favourite. Crispy skin and juicy flesh!

I made 3 sauces to go with the salmon: 1. garlic& chili fish sauce, 2. guacamole, 3. sweet & sour mango chili sauce. Depending on my mood, I will usually go with one of these. As for you, there will be something for everybody e.g. if you don't like spicy or if you don't like fish sauce etc.

Garlic & Chili Fish Sauce:

Ingredients

- fish sauce
- fresh or dried chili peppers (sliced)
- fresh or dried garlic
- sugar
- lemon juice or white vinegar
- warm water

How to

I use a jar to make a bigger batch of this sauce to use for other dishes as well but if you don't want to keep any leftovers just use a small bowl. For 1 person, I'd recommend 3 TBS of sugar, 4 TBS of lemon juice, 5-6 TBS of water and then 2 TBS of fish sauce. Play around with it because it depends on how acidic your lemon is and which kind of fish sauce you have (depending on which brand you buy the saltiness can be very different). The garlic and chili peppers are optional, you do not have to put them in if you do not like them. I usually use dried garlic and chili peppers as it is difficult to find fresh chili peppers here and fresh garlic sometimes gives me stomach issues ^^; also the smell (I only eat fresh garlic if I do not have to see people for a few days hahaha)


Guacamole

Ingredients

- soft/ripe avocado
- 1 small tomato
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame (optional)
- lemon juice

How to

Cut the tomato and remove the inside part (otherwise it'll be too watery). Dice it into small pieces. Mash an avocado in a bowl, add the tomato, season with salt, pepper and sesame, then add a bit of lemon juice (to retain the nice green colour). I sometimes add fresh coriander leaves if I have some.


Sweet & Sour Mango Chili Sauce

Ingredients

- mango (juice or puree are also fine)
- onion
- garlic
- fish sauce or salt
- chili peppers

How to

This is essentially a mango chutney. Toss mango (or if you don't have any, use mango juice or puree), onion, garlic, chili peppers into a blender, add some salt or fish sauce to taste. Ta-dah! You might have to play around with the seasoning afterwards a bit to adjust it to your liking.

 

Sometimes I am also super lazy and use Thai suki sauce or sweet chili sauce instead. And well, mango can be pretty expensive here. But I recently found unsweetened mango puree in a shop, so I've been using that for a variety of dishes.

Comments