Chili Pesto / Chili Oil

★★★Chili Sauces★★★

I promised these recipes to another good friend of mine, Jamie, my very tall and very lovely artist friend in Japan. She loves spicy things and homemade things and I'm combining both here. You can visit her website here.

The chili peppers I used for these two recipes were home grown but I realize that not everybody is into growing stuff or is able to due to space constraints. So you can also use bought chili peppers (fresh or dry). Also note, these recipes do not contain any vinegar because that is the one thing that annoys me the most about commercial chili sauce really.


Chili Plant



Let me tell you, in my mother's garden things usually turn out very 'extreme'. And no, I don't just mean the amount of chili peppers that grew on our little plant (that's just one side of the plant up there in the picture). The spiciness of those things was...let's just say even seasoned eaters of spicy food and chili peppers had some respect for those little red friends.

I had to wear gloves and a mask when I worked with these things because the "fumes" were so spicy it made me cough (it burned like hell, holy moly). So I'd advice you to do the same. At least gloves are a must!





Red and hot like you have no idea

RECIPE:

Use as many chili peppers as you want or have
Fresh Garlic
Oil

I recommend using a blender/mixer/food processor but if you don't have any of those on hand, you can just cut the chili peppers up with a knife, too.


Lava... you should have seen the smoke rising

How to - Chili Pesto:

For the pesto, you just put everything mentioned in the list of ingredients into a blender/mixer and press the button. The end result should look like in the picture above. You can vary the amounts of oil you put in, depending on how liquid you want it. Fill everything into a jar or other container that can be tightly sealed and keep it in the fridge. You can use it for seasoning (e.g. in sauces) or, if you're brave, just eat it as it is.


How to - Chili Oil:

The oil requires a bit more work. Cut up the chili peppers (or blend them so they're small). Also cut up the garlic into small pieces/bits. Heat up some oil in a pan and toss in the garlic. Stir and then add the cut chili peppers. Stir well until they're cooked and then turn off the heat and fill it into a jar or other container you can close well. I'd store this in the fridge as well although I think it keeps well outside, too, as long as it doesn't get too hot. The cooking/frying process should have made it less perishable compared to the pesto.

Some people say the cooked chili oil variant isn't as spicy as the pesto one. My experience is that depending on what kind of chili peppers you use, this is not true. Also, if you keep the pits in (which is the spiciest part of the whole chili pepper). I prefer the chili oil that has been cooked/fried personally because it's a lot easier to use in my opinion and it keeps longer.


Have fun but be careful!

Comments

  1. How long do you think the pesto and oil would keep, roughly?
    - Vix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on your fridge and how often you'd use them I think. The more often you open and close the containers the faster it'll spoil? At least that's been my experience.

      I think the oil would keep for about 2-3 weeks, the pesto a little over a week? But like I said, it depends. Just make sure the container is airtight :X then it'll keep longer.

      Delete

Post a Comment