SEAsian Style Spicy Salads

It's getting hotter here in Japan and so a lot of my recent dishes have been cold dishes such as salads. So today I will be introducing a spicy beef and a spicy chicken salad to you, which I really enjoy. (I feel like that sentence needs an Oxford comma but my brain is too tired right now to bother ahahaha).

Beef


 

Ingredients:

The base (= salad) can be anything you want or like. It can be papaya salad (a bit hard to get in many areas), it can be onion and lettuce or it can be cucumber. Or in Japan, I guess you can use the salads that have daikon raddish in them, or really any salad will do.

Chili Fish Sauce (the recipe can be found in my Salmon with 3 Sauces post HERE)

And meat of choice - beef or chicken, you can also do pork. Anything is fine. I mean, hey, this is just salad lol. You can also use whatever cooking method: boiling, frying, grilling...though I have a separate recipe and post for grilled chicken salad because I'll be talking about my grilled chicken seasoning.

If you want to do it shabu shabu soup style: for the broth to use to cook the meat, I prefer either my own stock (see e.g. the Vietnamese hot pot recipe) or just any nabe or soup stock that doesn't have a super strong taste. If you want to keep it super simple, just water and 1 tsp of salt also goes a long way. If you throw in some garlic, even better.

If you want to do a quick meat stir fry: Put oil, chopped onions and chopped garlic into a frying pan, heat it up, throw in the meat, no real need for seasoning as you will be adding dressing/sauce.


You can also make a non-spicy variant. For this I recommend using 'goma ponzu dressing' (sesame and vinegar based dressing, available at any supermarket in Japan, also available online for overseas readers). Or regular ponzu dressing or just a vinegar based dressing. Whatever you like or have available.

 



Chicken


How to:

For the chicken salad you can see in the picture, I used chili-garlic oil instead of the dried chili.

For the chicken, if you are in Japan or if you have readily cooked chicken available, use that (in Japan it's the "Salad Chicken"). That's the lazy but really fast and convenient version lol.

If you have a bit more time, you can boil the chicken yourself - like me. I will be putting up my chicken soup and chicken recipe in a different post, so stay tuned for that. You will be able to make more dishes with that chicken as well (which is why I am putting it in a separate post).

When I use chicken, I usually use cucumbers (cut into thin strips) and thinly sliced onions (soaked in vinegar a little bit if you can't get the not so spicy salad variant) because they are readily available. The original for this salad is actually green papaya. So if you have that, use that!


Sorry this is so quick and dirty/easy. I've been trying to update regularly but life got in the way. Hopefully I'll have more time to sit down and write from now on. I have a lot of drafts up for this blog, so there will definitely be more in the not so distant future.

Comments