Presentation - Taste and Looks! (No Recipe)

I forgot to mention in the previous post that the fridge way of making yuzu cha results in a less bitter tea compared to the cooked one. Cooking apparently brings out the bitterness more. So I personally prefer the fridge version - even if it requires patience and doesn't keep as long.


This post will not contain a recipe for once. I said that I wouldn't just post recipes here but that I would also just talk about food or things related to food once in  a while.

For me, cooking is not just making something edible most of the time. I guess I've been taught from a young age that if you make something to eat, it should look appetizing as well because food is something to be enjoyed. Maybe it's something that carried over from the Asian side of my upbringing. I think in Asia it's very important to have a good presentation of your food next to it having a great taste as well.

The first example I give here will be a very simple and yet effective one:

 ★★★Decorating a Meat Plate★★★

The finished dish


Before...

First, the arrangement of the food on the plate. Here's an example with slices of meat. This could also be a sausage or cheese plate for breakfast or whatever. The layering is the key point here. Layer stuff in a circle and with the single pieces overlapping. You can make it spiral from the inside to the outside or the other way around. I think I usually do it from the outside to the inside.

Since it still looks a bit plain just like that, add other stuff to add more touches of color. Popular food items you can add are the following:

- raddish
- green onion
- coriander
- salad
- cherry tomatoes
- carrot
- ...

Whatever you want. If you have larger carrots or radishes or turnips and the like, you can use vegetable cutters or cookie/biscuit cutters to cut them into shape. I bought vegetable cutters in Japan (Daiso!) in the shape of flowers (sakura, daisy...).

Arrange the items of your choice on the plate in whatever way you see fit. Voila. :)

...after!

 

Comments