revival - presentation is everything

Hello everyone. I am sorry fro the long, long absence from this blog.

Life has been a bit of a roller-coaster since the last entry (and still is really) but due to some recent requests, I've decided to revive this place, give it a bit of a new look and start posting again.

Today's post does not contain any recipe. It's just another post about presentation.

Of course, taste matters. Duh. But presentation is also important. In German we say "Das Auge isst mit", which means that our eyes also partake in the meal.


This is something relatively simple but effective. Arranging food on a plate. I did not cut any of this myself. I merely arranged things I bought at the supermarket (on sale!) to look pretty. It's done fairly quickly and easily but has a big impact.

Salad (or strings of daikon or whatever floats your boat) on the bottom as a base, some shiso leaves as 'flower leaves' or greens and voila. Your bouquet base is done. Then come the flowers.

Start with a rolled up slice of fish and then proceed to put the other slices around it in a circle/spiral. 

That's it.

I usually eat this as a salad, which means I put dressing on top (personal recommendation: non-oil shiso dressing with added soy sauce and wasabi to taste). But you can also just leave it as is and eat it in a more traditional sashimi style, which means plucking the single 'petals' off the arrangement and dipping them in soy sauce. It's pretty flexible.

Comments