Spicy Ahi-Poke!

Hello everyone!

I am sooo sorry it's been so long since I posted an entry here. I moved half-way around the globe once again and life has been pretty busy. I am, sadly, also not in possession of a proper kitchen right now so I cannot do a lot of cooking :(

I will try to update again though, be it with old recipes and things or with the few things I do managed to make over here.

Today is actually going to be a simple dish I have made with the limited utensils I do have here :3

Friends from Hawaii introduced me to this dish and I've come to like it. Also, you cannot make it everywhere so I am using the fact that I will be here for a while to enjoy it as often as I can.


★★★Spicy Ahi-Poke★★★

Spicy Ahi-Poke

What is "ahi" you ask? Ahi is the Hawaiian word for tuna (Japanese: maguro - the red fleshed one and not the white fleshed one). 



Here's what you need: 

100-200gr fresh, raw tuna (sashimi quality - this is eaten raw and not cooked!)
Mayonnaise
Soy Sauce
Chili Oil or Sriracha Sauce

Cut green onions (optional)
Sesame Oil (optional)


How to:

Dice the tuna into bite sized pieces or stripes. Put them into a bowl and add the condiments. My recommendation for the order is to add the soy sauce first and let it sit for a while and then add the mayonnaise and then chili oil/sriracha.

Mix well so that everything coats the fish. That's pretty much it.

The recommended way to serve this is as a donburi - meaning on hot (white) rice!  What I usually do is, I put on the rice (takes about 1 hour), go buy the fish, cut it up and season it and let it sit in the fridge until the rice is done. I like to add green onions and a dash of sesame oil for flavor. Also, I use chili-garlic oil instead of sriracha (the original recipe has sriracha) because I do not like the sour taste of sriracha much.

If you're not much of a fan of spicy food, I think you can leave out the chili completely and instead go with the sesame oil. It somehow rounds the flavor of everything in my opinion? Instead of just having mayonnaise, soy sauce and fish. That might just be me though ;3


Bon appetit!

Comments